Title: Controller (Part-Time)
Posted: August 2023 (Updated January 2024)
Location: NYC or tri-state area
Who We Are: Elluminate empowers trailblazing Jewish entrepreneurial women and visionary feminist philanthropists in their pursuit of systemic social change and gender justice in the U.S. and beyond. Bringing together a diverse coalition of bold women, we address the unique challenges faced by female leaders, ensuring that they are supported and elevated as they battle to change the world. Together, we work as a force multiplier for vital social change, fostering collaboration, strengthening leadership capabilities, magnifying voices, and accelerating transformational influence and impact.
Job Summary: The Controller is a key leader on the Elluminate team, reporting to the CEO. The Controller handles the accounting and General Ledger of Elluminate, including preparing financial statements and managing the annual audit. The Controller administers the financial policies of Elluminate and has the ability to successfully manage multiple priorities with competing timelines.
Responsibilities: This position reports directly to the CEO. Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Manage the general ledger (currently Quickbooks) including day-to-day accounting, journal entries and account analysis and reconciliation.
- Reconcile bank accounts and credit card statements monthly.
- Weekly: pay bills and record receivables in accordance with agency policies.
- Prepare and review the payroll.
- Prepare daily cash reporting and analysis, many daily banking activities and relationships.
- Prepare invoices for funders and donors.
- Close the books each month and prepare monthly financial reports including budget/actual reports, cash forecasts, and balance sheet.
- Reconcile contributions between Elluminate’s accounting and fundraising systems weekly
- Develop and implement appropriate control and risk management procedures (in consultation with the CEO and Treasurers).
- Identify opportunities to streamline and upgrade accounting and lead implementation of new processes and technologies
- Support the Finance Committee in reviewing the performance of the investment portfolio.
- Track special funds and “Shadow” (project) budgets.
- Reconcile credit card accounts.
- Manage the annual audit and preparation of 990 tax return with the outside auditors.
- Prepare financial reports for funders in coordination with program staff.
- Prepare an annual budget with the CEO and staff for board review.
- Engage in special projects and other duties as assigned.
- Manage the administration of benefits including health and retirement plans and statutory benefits (unemployment, disability).
- Maintain and update position descriptions.
- Review employment manual and update policies as appropriate.
- Orient new staff to employment policies and benefits.
- Staff the Treasure (s) and Finance Committee in reviewing the performance of the investment portfolio and monitoring the finances of the organizations
- Prepare finances and report to the Board
- Assist in staffing the Governance Committees.
- Review and negotiate contracts with vendors.
- Manage Elluminate’s corporate and D&O insurance.
- Manage operational and financial aspects of relationship with UJA.
Skills, Knowledge and Expertise
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or related field.
- Knowledge of nonprofit GAAP accounting.
- Excellent judgment and interpersonal skills
- Strong communications skills
- Love of new technology and the ability to implement new applications
- Team player
- Excellent Excel skills including VLookup and Pivot Tables.
- Ability to set priorities and manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Excellent knowledge of Quickbooks, LGL and other accounting systems
- Experience working in a non-profit, and investment oversight
We are committed to diversifying our employees and welcome applications from those groups that have historically been underrepresented in the Jewish communal world—people of color, people with disabilities, LGBTQ+ people, and others.
Salary/Benefits: Offered salary: $75,000. Optional Benefits package.
To Apply: Submit a meaningful cover letter and resume to [email protected] with your name and “Controller” in the subject line. Only viable candidates will be interviewed.
Elluminate provides equal opportunity to all people regardless of race, color, ethnicity, religion, national origin, sex, gender (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, body configuration, age, disability, marital status, height, weight, or political belief. This policy applies to all employees and applicants for employment. Candidate must complete a background check upon being hired.